McJunkin, Inc. has been in business since 1927. From then until now our
dedication to delivering the best service and the finest quality tools
and equipment has never wavered. Our company has a long and storied
history that spans the 20th century. The history of H.K. McJunkin, Inc. is nothing short of a truly American success story:
- Hugh K. McJunkin founds H.K. McJunkin. As a sales representative
working out of his home, his major line is Porter Cable, selling to
hardware stores and mill supply houses in the western Pennsylvania area.
1935 - Hugh K. McJunkin grows his business and rents a storefront on Edgewood Ave. in the Swissvale neighborhood of Pittsburgh.
- Richard H. McJunkin, son of Hugh McJunkin, newly home from service in WWII, joins the business as a
partner. He works as a traveling salesman, allowing expansion of
territory as far as Erie, PA to Bluefield, WV.
1954 - Our current building at 7724 Edgewood Ave. is purchased, become the headquarters of operation for H.K. McJunkin
1954 to 1960
- A second building is purchased at the same location and H.K. McJunkin
begins stocking Stanley Hand & Power Tools, Michigan Wood ladders
and Werner aluminum ladders. H.K. McJunkin becomes a major regional
distributor of these products.
1960 - H.K. McJunkin continues its expansion, adding an addition onto it's building.
- Hugh K. McJunkin, founder and namesame, retires. Richard McJunkin
starts to transition the business from sales representative to stocking
distributor. Porter Cable (now Rockwell Power Tools) is reacquired, and
Milwaukee Electric tools are added to stock.
1967 - Richard K. McJunkin, son of Richard H. McJunkin, joins the company
1968 - H.K. McJunkin incorporates and becomes H.K. McJunkin, Inc. Buiness is still wholesale with hardware and mill supply
- Bill Ward taken on as outside salesman, Ron Johnson as inside
salesman. H.K. McJunkin, Inc. begins selling direct to large users in
addition to wholesale business. Black & Decker and Skil lines taken
on and added to stock
1971 - As the business continues to grow, an additional building at 7724-26 Edgewood Ave is purchased
- Hugh D. McJunkin (son of Richard H. McJunkin) joins his father and
older brother in the business. Stanley Power Tool is purchased by Bosch
1975 to 1983 - Metabo, Kett, Fein lines are added as H.K. McJunkin, Inc. becomes a true power tool house
- Richard H. McJunkin retires. An additional building is purchased at
7728-7734 Edgewood Ave. The company uses this expansion phase to build a
new office and showroom.
1984 to 1989 - Major accessory lines are added: Sait (United Abrasives), Diamond Products, Knaack and Weatherguard
1993 - Black & Decker begins marketing under Dewalt
1993 to 2000
- Resale business to hardware stores begins to decline due to the
advent of 'big box' stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. Mill supply
business declines due to loss of mills across the US. H.K. McJunkin
looks to expand direct business by taking on Ridgid, having great
2000 to Present
- H.K. McJunkin repositions to meet the changing business landscape of
the 21st century. A combination of inside and outside salesmen with
knowledge and experience selling the premiere lines of tools and
industrial/construction products keep our company and traditions strong.
Hugh K. McJunkin, founder
Richard H. McJunkin and his wifeAlene, shown here in a portrait from the mid-1980s
H.K. McJunkin, Inc., pre-expansion in the early 1980s
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 7am to 5pm
7724 Edgewood Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
1.800.245.6186 (toll free) email@example.com
Content copyright . mcjunkintool.com. All rights reserved.